Turmeric, the golden spice, is found to decrease you inflammation and pain. Many studies are now showing how effective Turmeric is for many of our aches and pains.
Curcumin is the principle compound of turmeric; it is a very bright golden yellow color. This compound comes from the rhizomes, underground stems, of Curcuma longa or turmeric.
The yellow in turmeric is also responsible for the yellow in curry and in American mustard. All can be beneficial.
Pain and Inflammation Benefits of Turmeric
Here are just some of the studies that show how beneficial Turmeric and its special compound, curcumin, can be for your health:
- A report published in Journal of Clinical Intervention of Aging, knee joint patients were given either a popular treatment or other half was given curcumin. The report gave a positive effect on aches and pains associated with aging. The best difference was the curcumin group had zero negative side effects.
- A study by Dr. Radha Ayyagari at University of California, San Diego found that turmeric helps fight inflammation. Many people with arthritis, one cause of inflammation, are more likely to develop cataracts and retinol degeneration. Curcumin can help decrease these possible eye problems.
Curcumin supports glutathione synthesis, which is an important antioxidant for vision.
- Researchers at Auburn University compared curcumin to a blood sugar solution known for its ability to balance glucose levels. They were astonished when they found curcumin was 10,000 times more powerful at supporting healthy glucose, and no side effects.
- In one study reported in the journal Molecular Nutrition and Food Research animals were given curcumin and a popular cholesterol solution for over a week. The result showed curcumin did better at supporting healthy cholesterol levels and had no side effects.
- “Curcumin may be able reduce brain inflammation which has been linked to both Alzheimer’s disease and major depression”, said Dr. Gary Small, director of geriatric psychiatry at UCLA’s Longevity Center; published in the American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. Pet scans completed before and after the study showed significant decreases in both amyloid and tau protein plaques in the brain.
- Scientific communities agree that turmeric is a great pain reliever. It helps with arthritic pain, wound pain, sciatic pain and any nerve pain.
More Healing Benefits of Turmeric
Topically, turmeric salve helps with skin disorders, bruising and bites. It also, may help with wound healing and skin disorders like psoriasis.
Most forms of cancer stem from inflammation and growth of abnormal cells that cannot be controlled by your immune system.
New studies are now proving that curcumin can aid in controlling cancer in 3 ways:
- angiogenesis or tumor growth
- metastasis or spread of cancer cells
- apoptosis or death of cancer cells
Turmeric is a great ally against cancer. The cardiologist, Dr. Stephen Sinatra, says turmeric is especially effective in the colon, where your cells are more vulnerable to free radical damage. It is a great preventative spice to stop cancer growth in the colon.
Another research shows that turmeric binds to iron, making it unavailable to cancer cells, cancer cannot live without iron.
Turmeric can slow or prevent blood clots from forming by slowing platelet aggregate formation; this reduces the risk of clot development. This study needs further research to be done on humans to find out how this scientifically happens.
It could even have potential in helping diabetes, which is an inflammatory type of disease, due to turmeric’s ability to activate AMPK enzyme.
Turmeric’s Bottom Line Info
There is a need for further scientific studies on humans to find out how or if turmeric’s benefits are really working. Research and studies so far show it does make a difference but as with anything, not everyone responds the same.
Turmeric does have a short absorption time in the body. This is because it dissolves rather quickly; so it needs help in getting into the blood system, to reach the areas where it is needed.
Some suggestions are to consume turmeric with either Bio-Perine (black pepper) or with synergistic herbs to help carry turmeric into the system.
Definitely, Turmeric is very beneficial for decreasing your Inflammation and Pain…..very much worth it. Make this a turning point in your health and life.
Cindy Burrows, B.S., M.T., Herbalist and Nutritional Health Consultant. Helps individuals start health programs to improve their life, wellness and happiness. Cindy is a speaker, writer and entrepreneur of several businesses.