There are many modes of prevention to help your body’s immune system to fight off bacteria and viruses. Of course, vaccines are talked about the most, but there is never any guarantee that they will work.
Let’s discuss some preventative alternatives and a few common sense types of protection against catching a cold or the flu, including essential oils.
Easy and Useful Types of Protection:
- Watch your hands, frequently, with soap and hot water for about 3 minutes.
- Keep your nose and mouth covered when someone is coughing or appears sick close to you.
- Take Omega 3’s to help fortify the immune system and for lung protection.
- Be sure to get your vitamin D, which supports the immune system, you need about 1000-2000 IU/day. You can also increase your dairy and fish intake.
- You can try some herbs like Echinacea, Astragalus, Elderberry or Ginseng these herbs can shorten any virus infection by helping the immune system function better. And many herbs are anti-bacterial and anti-viral.
- Keep yourself hydrated and be sure to get enough sleep.
Essential Oils for Colds and Flu
- Eucalyptus is great for opening up the airways and stuffy noses. Rub some in the palm and cup your nose, breath in deeply to reach the lungs. Or use your diffuser in the bedroom.
- Peppermint essential oil helps with headaches, congestion and reducing fever.
- Lemon essential oil helps freshen and purify the air. It is an antibacterial that is very effective against cold and allergy symptoms.
- Lavender Essential oil is a great antiseptic and anti- inflammatory. Great neck and shoulder rub for tense muscles.
- Ginger and Rosemary essential oils are both warming oils; if you are cold it will bring back circulation. It is an anti –inflammatory, anti- bacterial and relieves muscle aches and pains.
Try a few of these suggestions to help prevent colds or flu. Prevention, before you are exposed to a virus or bacteria, helps to fortify your immune system.
Cindy Burrows, B.S., M.T., Herbalist, is a Natural Health Consultant helping individuals start health programs to improve their life, wellness and happiness. Cindy is a speaker, writer and entrepreneur of several businesses.